Man killed after being hit by train in New Forest

station

 

A MAN was killed when he was struck by a train on the railway line at Sway station in the New Forest on Saturday night.

Train services were substantially delayed between Bournemouth andBrockenhurst for five hours after the incident, which happened at 6.30pm.

Officers from Hampshire Police and British Transport Police attended the scene, along with paramedics from South Central Ambulance Service, who recovered the body from the line.

An investigation has been launched and enquiries are ongoing but the death is currently being treated as non-suspicious, according to the British Transport Police. A spokesperson from British Transport Police said: “Officers from Hampshire Police and British Transport Police attended Sway Rail Station after a report that a person had been struck by a train. “The death is currently being treated as non-suspicious. Enquiries are ongoing and the file is currently being prepared for the coroner.”

Identifying details have not been released as next of kin are being informed, said a spokesman from South Central Ambulance Service. There were major delays on train services from Dorset after services were suspended between Bournemouth and Brockenhurst from 6.30pm to 8pm.

Knock-on delays continued until around 11.15pm and a shuttle service ran while the services were disrupted.

A spokesman from South West Trains said: “Services were disrupted as a result of a person being struck by a train at Sway rail station.

“The main area affected was between Bournemouth and Brockenhurst. The line was re-opened after 8pm but there were knock-on delays until 11.15pm.”

 

source: bournemouthecho.co.uk